After an unintentional 6 week break, I’m back with a new installment of Free Book Friday. Today we focus on some fabulous Advent books to prepare us for the coming of Christ. At the end you’ll find an offer for a free Advent book.
Byron Borger is my favorite bookseller. He runs a shop called Hearts & Minds Books in Central, PA. I’ve never been to the shop, but Byron provides the book table for many great Christian gatherings. At one of these I was able to meet Byron. Byron not only sells books, but he loves books. Beyond this, he loves Jesus, the church, followers of Christ, and thinking. When Byron recommends a book, he recommends it as one who thinks as deeply about the content of the book as the author does.
Byron has put out a great list of new Advent/Christmastide/Epiphany books that could assist you and your family in growing with Christ in this season. See his list here: 12 Great New Advent Books for Your Seasonal Spiritual Formation. I just sent in my order for five books on this list. Thanks, Byron!
Here are the five I’ve ordered.
- The Season of the Nativity: Confessions and Practices of an Advent, Christmas & Epiphany Extremist by Sybil MacBeth
- All I Really Want: Readings for a Modern Christmas by Quinn G. Caldwell
- The Christmas Countdown: Creating 25 Days of New Advent Traditions for Families by Margie J. Harding
- Feasting on the Word Advent Companion: A Thematic Resource for Preaching and Worship edited by David L. Bartlett, Barbara Brown Taylor, and Kimberly Bracken Long
- Light Upon Light: A Literary Guide to Prayer for Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany compiled by Sarah Arthur
I intended to write a description of these books, but I can’t possibly do a better job than Byron. Go ye to his post and read his descriptions. If you buy any of these books, may I encourage you to buy from Byron and Hearts & Minds Books? You may pay a bit more than amazon, but it’s because of Byron that we discovered these books and it’s great to support this local bookseller.
Books bought from Byron always come shipped with love as well. Receiving one always makes me smile.
Anyone who orders one of the new Advent books from Byron through Sunday, November 23, 2014 will receive a free Advent book of Byron’s choosing. You also receive 20% off of each of the books he recommends. Quite a deal!
Purchase: Hearts & Minds Books